Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Tuesday, June 22, 2010

28 weeks - third trimester!

So today I'm 28 weeks, which puts me into my third trimester! It's all coming so fast! Below are a couple of belly pictures from today, one from the side and one from the front.


So Dan is still laid off from ironworking, but he has recently gotten a job at a nightclub downtown as a bouncer. He is still able to collect some of his unemployment since it's only part time, but it's pretty crappy hours. He works 4 nights a week from 10:30pm - 2:30am plus drive time but the money is needed. I've been doing workshops since school got out for extra money as well. Just trying to stock up before I go on materninty leave.
I had my 28 week appointment yesterday and actually lost a pound! I think part of it is that I usually go to the doctor in the late afternoon (after eating a few meals) and yesterday I went at 8:30am after only a bagel and some juice. Oh well! I had to do my glucose test to check for gestational diabetes, so that was interesting. They had me drink an orange drink that tasted like flat orange soda with extra sugar and then took my blood an hour later. I will be able to call tomorrow to get my results so hopefully all is well. I also start going to the doctor every 2 weeks now.
Here is what is going on with Landon and I this week:
By this week, your baby weighs two and a quarter pounds (like a Chinese cabbage) and measures 14.8 inches from the top of his head to his heels. He can blink his eyes, which now sport lashes. With his eyesight developing, he may be able to see the light that filters in through your womb. He's also developing billions of neurons in his brain and adding more body fat in preparation for life in the outside world.
You're in the home stretch! The third and final trimester starts this week. If you're like most women, you'll gain about 11 pounds this trimester.At this point, you'll likely visit your doctor or midwife every two weeks. Then, at 36 weeks, you'll switch to weekly visits. Around this time, some women feel an unpleasant "creepy-crawly" sensation in their lower legs and an irresistible urge to move them while trying to relax or sleep. If this sensation is at least temporarily relieved when you move, you may have what's known as restless legs syndrome (RLS). No one knows for sure what causes RLS, but it's relatively common among expectant mothers. Try stretching or massaging your legs, and cut down on caffeine, which can make the symptoms worse. Ask your caregiver if you should try iron supplements, which can sometimes relieve RLS.

1 comment:

  1. I have been checking airfare daily in anticipation of narrowing down the date to come down in September. It will be here before we know it.

    Love you, Mom

    ReplyDelete