Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Tuesday, April 6, 2010

17 weeks

First of all, 20 more days until we find out the gender!  AHH!
So I really can't believe that I'm already 17 weeks, but I also feel like there is SO much time to go!  I'm on Spring Break this week and I'm trying to take it easy but I'm already getting bored!  Our friend that is doing the mural in the nursery for us is supposed to let us know how much paint and what colors to get today and then will begin painting at the end of the week, so that's exciting!
There is bad news though, they passed a bill yesterday that will pay all teachers in Florida based on their students' test scores and not on their years of experience.  I will be guarenteed 1//2 of my salary and then the other 1/2 is based on how well a bunch of 5th graders do on a test that takes place on one day...  It's not going to go into effect for another year or two, but it looks like after this baby comes we may have to look into moving to another state for me to teach.  That, or a new profession for me.  Crazy times...
On the bright side again, I have been feeling the baby move!  Last Friday and Saturday I thought I was feeling baby move, but I couldn't tell if it was baby or gas bubbles.   Then on Easter morning, I felt something that was undeniably baby!  Since then I've felt little flutters here and there and it's so exciting!  We also bought a fetal doppler on Ebay that will let us listen to the baby's heartbeat here at home, just waiting for it to arrive!

Here is what is going on with baby and me this week!

Your baby's skeleton is changing from soft cartilage to bone, and the umbilical cord — her lifeline to the placenta — is growing stronger and thicker. Your baby weighs 5 ounces now (about as much as a turnip), and she's around 5 inches long from head to bottom. She can move her joints, and her sweat glands are starting to develop.


Starting to feel a bit off balance? As your belly grows, your center of gravity changes, so you may begin to occasionally feel a little unsteady on your feet. Try to avoid situations with a high risk of falling. Wear low-heeled shoes to reduce your risk of taking a tumble; trauma to your abdomen could be dangerous for you and your baby. You'll also want to be sure to buckle up when you're in a car — keep the lap portion of the seat belt under your belly, drawn snugly across your hips, and also use the shoulder harness, which should fit snugly between your breasts.

You may also notice your eyes becoming drier. Using over-the-counter lubricating drops may help. If your contact lenses become uncomfortable, try wearing them for shorter stretches of time. If you still have discomfort, switch to glasses until after you give birth.

1 comment:

  1. Stupid state of Florida. :-) I am sure that before it all goes into effect, they will have worked out the bugs. We can hope, anyway.

    It's so exciting to hear about the baby moving. You will probably feel it alot more at night when you are quiet. It used to keep me awake because I wanted to feel it as much as I could so I wouldn't go to sleep unless I just passed out. Of course, as the pregancy progresses, that passes - you won't have any problem ignoring junior so you can sleep.

    Take care, sweety, love you
    Mom

    ReplyDelete