Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Tuesday, April 20, 2010

19 weeks

So only 6 more days until we find out what we're having! Most people have said I'm having a boy, with only a few guessing that it's a girl. Whichever it is, they are going to be a gymnast because they are turning somersaults inside of me! It's the weirdest feeling, and of course it only happens when I'm still so sleeping is getting tough.


On Friday, I had to leave work early due to some really bad cramping. It was worse than usual and since my doctor closes at noon on Fridays they told me to go to triage at the hospital. They checked me out and everything was fine, they said that I need to drink more water and that from 18-22 weeks the uterus is going through a major growth spurt and it's pulling at the ligments more, making it more painful. I was glad to know everything was ok, and they checked the baby's heartbeat and it's at 142 now. Dan was excited to hear that due to the old wive's tale that a slower heartbeat means it's a boy. He'll be excited either way.


I did have high blood pressure when I went in though. I think it was 135 over 84, and this is the second time it's been high. They took it again a couple hours later and said that it was fine after that but that I needed to reduce my stress level. I laughed and told them that that would require me quiting my job! However, I am trying to take it easy.
I also told my homeroom students yesterday. Well, actually one of them asked so I went ahead and told them. They were very excited, one of the girls even cried. However, they're upset that I won't be having the baby until next school year, and they'll be in middle school. I had the students put their heads down so that they couldn't see each other and vote on whether they think I'm having a girl or a boy. All 20 students said by, not one said girl! It was very odd. Today I'll be telling my other 2 classes and letting them vote.
I don't know how I'm going to make it through the next 6 days, I'm so excited! My cousin James and his wife, Amanda, are coming down this weekend, so hopefully that will help the time to fly!

Here is what is going on with me and baby this week:
Your baby's sensory development is exploding! Her brain is designating specialized areas for smell, taste, hearing, vision, and touch. Some research suggests that she may be able to hear your voice now, so don't be shy about reading aloud, talking to her, or singing a happy tune if the mood strikes you.Your baby weighs about 8 1/2 ounces and measures 6 inches, head to bottom — about the size of a mango. Her arms and legs are in the right proportions to each other and the rest of her body now. Her kidneys continue to make urine and the hair on her scalp is sprouting. A waxy protective coating called the vernix caseosa is forming on her skin to prevent it from pickling in the amniotic fluid.
Think you're big now? You'll start growing even faster in the weeks to come. As a result, you may notice some achiness in your lower abdomen or even an occasional brief, stabbing pain on one or both sides — especially when you shift position or at the end of an active day. Most likely, this is round ligament pain. The ligaments that support your uterus are stretching to accommodate its increasing weight. This is nothing to be alarmed about, but call your practitioner if the pain continues even when you're resting or becomes severe.You may be noticing some skin changes, too. Are the palms of your hands red? Nothing to worry about — it's from the extra estrogen.

2 comments:

  1. So glad that the cramps were nothing to worry about. Did you drink your water today? Yes? Now go drink more :-)

    Have fun with James and Amanda (and dog). Take time to relax, put your feet up.

    Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amanda,

    Your mom sent me the link to your blog a while ago and I have been following your progress. I am so happy for you, dan and your mom! I have only been a grandma for 6 1/2 weeks now but I love every minute of it!

    My vote is for a boy. My reasoning? I had three boys and my son had a girl, your mom had 3 girls so I am guessing you will have a boy. Not very scientific huh? :) I will be sure to tune in later to find out if I am right now.

    Again, I am just really happy and excited for you guys!

    Cheri Street

    ReplyDelete